During the week we want to be able to cook a quick and healthy vegan main dish. It should be loaded with veggies, protein and some basics. Therefore, this roasted broccoli rice dish is one of our favorites.
Whenever we have some leftovers, it’s mostly green veggies. Don’t know why. But we usually end up mixing it all up and it often is surprisingly good and very healthy. We had broccoli and zucchini left over and that’s enough to make a full meal combined with rice. I have a love-hate relationship with broccoli. But marinated in soy sauce and roasted in the oven, it’s one of my favorite vegetables.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
2 small broccolis
1 block of tofu (we used bear’s garlic tofu)
1 red onion
2 cups of rice
1. Preheat oven at 190°C (grill)
2. Cut broccoli into bite size pieces
3. Add broccoli into a casserole dish. Add soy sauce and olive oil, so that the bottom of the dish is covered and you can marinate the broccoli.
4. Pluck a small handful of rosemary and add to the broccoli.
5. Chop up the red onions and add to the broccoli.
6. Marinate for 10 minutes.
7. Bake for 20 minutes. Stir once or twice in between.
8. Chop the zucchini into semicircles. Cut tofu into bite size bits.
9. Use the pumpkin oil in a large pan and heat up on small flame.
10. Add 2 cups of rice with 4 cups of water and a bit of salt in a pot and cook on medium heat (7) for 20 minutes. Stir regularly.
11. Add zucchini into pan and fry for about 5 minutes.
12. Then add the tofu. Fry for another 5 minutes.
13. Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Let it cook for another 10 minutes.
14. Roast some pumpkin seeds for the topping.
Tip: We like to mix everything at the end, cause then you can make the most of the soy-olive sauce from the broccoli dish. Love how the whole combination tastes.