Vegan Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins with Crumble
The title says it all. It’s vegan, it’s a blueberry muffin with chocolate AND crumbles. Just what we need during lockdown – some soul food. These fluffy vegan muffins are so easy and quick to make – and if you’re a frequent baker, you probably have all the ingredients at home.
I desperately felt like a good muffin. While I was researching a decent recipe, I came across so many delicious sounding muffins. There was just too much to choose from. So, I decided to combine all of my favorites: A muffin with fruit, chocolate and crumble. Maybe you feel me and also wish to pimp up that muffin just a wee bit. So, in spite of launching our new website (home you like it), I thought I’d share this really simple recipe with you. All you need is 20 minutes to prepare and another 20 minutes to bake and then you can bite into one of these treats.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Backing time: 22 minutes
For the dough
250g spelt flour
150g cane sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon natron or baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
1 dash of salt
250 ml oat milk
100 ml rapeseed oil
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
100g fresh blueberries
40g dark chocolate
For the crumble
25g vegan margarine
20g cane sugar
50g spelt flour
1 dash of salt
1. Preheat oven at 180°C (on circulating air)
2. Mix all dry ingredients such as flour, sugar, baking powder, natron, vanilla sugar, salt in a bowl.
3. Use a different larger bowl to mix all the wet ingredients such as milk, oil and cider vinegar.
4. Then slowly start adding the thoroughly mixed dry ingredients into the larger bowl with the milk. But only bit by bit. Mix properly during adding the flour mixture.
5. Whisk until you get a smooth texture
6. Chop up the chocolate into small bits
7. Add the chopped chocolate and the blueberries and make sure to only mix everything with a spatula (don’t whisk anymore).
8. Set bowl aside.
9. For the crumble add all the ingredients into a bowl. (Don’t melt the margarine)
10. Mix everything with your hands until you receive crumbles.
11. Lay out paper muffin cups into your muffin form.
12. Now fill the forms with the dough about 7/8. You should leave a small gap on the top.
13. Drizzle the crumble on top of the dough.
14. Bake for 22 minutes. Check if they’re done with a toothpick. If no dough sticks to the toothpick, they’re done.
15. Let ‘em cool out a bit before eating.